Main featuresStatus : Association
Etablished : 1989
- Région Rhône-Alpes (regional council)
- Pôle Métropolitain (formed by 4 urban districts : Lyon, St-Etienne, Vienne, and Porte de l’Isère)
- Départements Ain, Isère, Loire and Rhône (departmental councils)
- Urban districts Villefranche-sur-Saône, Roanne, and Bourg-en-Bresse.
Chairmanship : Région Urbaine de Lyon is jointly chaired by Région Rhône-Alpes President Jean-Jack Queyranne and Pôle Métropolitain President Gérard Collomb. The co- presidents’ representative is Jean-Paul Bret.
Staff : 4 persons
Budget : € 663 500 (2013)
Objectives and working practicesThe RUL provides a meeting, debating and a decision-making forum for local and regional authorities with regard to any issue requiring a consistent and coordinated approach, regardless of administrative boundaries. It encompasses various fields such as logistics, freight transport, tourism, culture, economic intelligence, or public transport.
Région Urbaine de Lyon is a think tank as well as a project incubator. Its objectives include :
- Investigating new subjects and looking ahead at social and economic trends in order to prepare tomorrow’s actions. Forward planning study ‘Cap sur 2030’ is part of this prospective work.
- Defining common strategies to ensure a consistent approach of subjects that need to be dealt with jointly. This is the case with logistics and freight transport for instance.
- Incubating projects that embody the abovementioned strategies. Région Urbaine de Lyon gave birth to collaborative projects such as Tourisme métropolitain, MétroPôle Images and Patrimoine 21.
- Leading the working groups in charge of managing actions that ensue from the abovementioned projects (like Utopies Réalisées and OMPREL).
Région Urbaine de Lyon is able to tackle a wide range of subjects and to initiate cooperations with different partners.